Join the Crew!
Are you looking for a way to be involved in your community?
Do you have a passion for local history?
An interest in the commercial fishing industry?
Are you part of a fishing family?
Do you enjoy interacting with people?
We have many volunteer opportunities:
- Welcome visitors and engage them with programs and exhibits
- Staff the reception area and gift shop
- Assist with educational programs
- Conduct research
- Assist with collections management
- Help with special events
If you work or worked in the fishing industry or are part of a fishing family, we hope you will share your industry skills and knowledge:
- Lead walking tours of the working waterfront
- Demonstrate industry skills (net mending, rigging, knot tying, etc.)
- Demonstrate maritime crafts (model making, marlinspike artistry, etc.)
- Talk with school groups or visitors about your work and life
The Center needs volunteers during operating hours (Thursday-Sunday 10:00-4:00) and for occasional evening programs and special events. Regular shifts are 3 hours long, mornings or afternoons, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or occasionally! For project-based volunteering, hours are flexible and can be scheduled according to your availability and particular area of interest.
You do not need to be knowledgeable about the fishing industry in order to be a volunteer. As a volunteer with NBFHC, you will have opportunities to participate in “insider tours” and talks to learn first-hand about the commercial fishing industry from fishermen, scientists, shoreside workers, and fishing family members. Additionally, Center staff and veteran volunteers will provide you with training about exhibits, the gift shop, programs and events.
For more information please stop by or email email@example.com or call (508) 993-8894.